Sunday, September 19, 2021

A New School Year

 After a fun and busy summer we are ready to jump back into school. Well, maybe not jump, but we are starting back. 


Abram will begin fourth grade and Jack and Luke are in first grade. So crazy! We have found an amazing Classical Conversations community to be apart of and this year that meets every Tuesday.  Abram also starts the Essentials program (intensive grammar and writing program) this year and will continue for three more years. 



My sweet boys... I love spending this time with them. 

They love putting these shirts on every year. They laugh at how big they are and I know in no time they will be the perfect size for them.  I pointed out to Abram that it isn't nearly as big as it was four years ago when he put it on for the first time when he started kindergarten. 




They had a school supply scavenger hunt and at the end they found these notes I wrote them and their favorite candy. 


And we are off...  Jack and Luke do their seat work at the dining room table because I sit with them and Abram works at our school counter since most of his work is done more independently. 



I won't turn this into a blog about why homeschooling is so wonderful, but I can say without a doubt this is where God wants us and I truly love spending this time with my boys that God has gifted me with. Chris and I love being able to choose their curriculum, answer questions they might have and point them to the Word and just pour into them during the day.  I often struggle with worry and doubt when it comes to homeschooling my boys. I had great grades in high school and college but I often tell Chris, I was given academics not an education. There is a lot I don't know and I don't feel qualified sometimes. But I serve a God who is qualified and He wouldn't call me to this without helping me along the way. I depend on Him daily. I try to tell my boys when I am stumped or when I don't know an answer, I'm not perfect. God doesn't need us to be perfect, He needs us to be willing. 

Here's the curriculum Abram is using this year:
Classical Conversations
Essentials of the English Language (EEL)
Institute of Excellence in Writing (IEW)
Math U See
Story of the World
Draw the World
Not Consumed (devotional)
Prescripts (cursive copywork)
xtramath and typing.com (independent work on the iPad to practice typing and math facts)


And Jack and Luke's curriculum:
Classical Conversations
Math U See
Story of the World
All About Reading
Reading Eggs, Fast Phonics and Math Seeds 

And for our extra curricular activities this fall we have chosen:
Choir (Sunday Mornings at our church)
Year round swim (Sunday evenings)
Trail Life (Monday evenings)
Soccer (Wednesday afternoon)
Violin (Abram only)

We are so excited to see what happens this year and what God is going to do in the hearts of our boys. He has blessed us so well! 


2 comments:

  1. We are so glad to be a part of your home schooling schedule! Thanks for sharing and have a great school year!

    -Typing.com
    https://www.typing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also,
    We just posted custom typing lessons with grade-level based September themes. They are located in our latest blog post here: https://www.typing.com/blog/digital-citizenship-grade-level-updates/

    Have a great school year and keep up the great learning!

    -Typing.com
    https://www.typing.com

    ReplyDelete