Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A "Very Hungry Caterpillar" Birthday

I'll be honest with you... I've been planning this party since May. Literally.  While we were waiting for Abe I did practically everything for the party except the food.  I knew I had the time then, and I wouldn't once we brought him home.  It was so fun to pull everything out last week... stuff I haven't seen in almost 6 months! :)
I absolutely love the children's author Eric Carle and his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar is easily a favorite. (Plus, I knew it would be easy to decide what to serve... we just stuck with what was in the book.) I had so much fun planning, but even more fun seeing Abe and his sweet friends enjoying the party.  I had to keep promising Chris that I won't do this every year.  I just thought since he didn't have a first birthday party, the way most kids do, he absolutely deserved one!

My friend, Dawn, helped me design the invitations.  I think they turned out super cute!



We had his party at a great park. It had a pavilion, picnic tables and great play equipment for the kids.  I had fun decorating and fixing up the area. Thank you Pinterest for all your wonderful ideas! How did we plan parties before the invention of Pinterest??
Centerpieces

I found Hungry Caterpillar fabric and I had to use it! I love how this flag turned out. I think I'll hang it for every birthday at our house. 

Our family picture with Abe's banner.

A caterpillar made out of tissue paper.  It is a tad wilted because of the extreme fog we had that morning.  

All the guests signed Abe's book. I think it is a great keepsake from his party!

Like I said earlier, the food was so easy! We just made food that the caterpillar ate through in the book.







Of course the kindergarten teacher side of me had to have "centers." We had five activities set up around the park for the kids to do.  

Feed the Hungry Caterpillar (throw beanbags in his mouth)

Dig for Caterpillars (the kids dug for gummy worms)



Make a Caterpillar Necklace (using colored pasta)
We also had coloring sheets and green and red play dough for the kids to make caterpillars.

And finally the cake... Chris actually made this. He made the cupcakes and cake, the icing, and laid it out to resemble a caterpillar.  I think it turned out great! And Abe couldn't wait to dig into a cupcake.  Hands down, my favorite part of the party was singing "Happy Birthday" to Abram.  It actually made me teary-eyed. I just loved that all our friends were helping us celebrate our sweet little boy.  Such a great day!!








Happy Birthday Abram!!
Mommy and Daddy love you so very much!!







3 comments:

  1. This party is too adorable!! And very well deserved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! What a fabulous party! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable idea! Happy Birthday to your little guy!

    ReplyDelete