Saturday, October 8, 2011

Okunchi Festival and Rice Harvesting

My Japanese student, Yasuko, told me about a festival going on this weekend... The Okunchi Festival is held every year in the fall in Nagasaki. The map we had wasn't too good (partially because it was all in Japanese), so needless to say we were thrilled when we literally turned a corner and saw the floats coming down the street. It was fun to see everyone in their costumes and Japanese attire. Here's a few pictures from the festivities...



I liked this picture... they are reaching for the goodies being thrown off the float.

The men pulled the boat while the kids inside played instruments.
Kimonos and umbrellas! Love!!


The festival was to celebrate the harvest so on the way home we had to stop to take pictures of the rice being harvested. It was such an incredible sight to see! 
I was so excited to see this sweet lady working in the rice fields and I thought her bonnet was too cute!


Amazing!



I decided today that my two favorite things about living in Japan are the kind people and the beautiful flowers. Every season is better than the one before it. I still can't decide which season is my favorite. The flowers are so vibrant and they are everywhere.  Right now it is cosmo season.  The shades of purple are spectacular!

The fields of cosmos were such a beautiful sight!


My wonderful friends that I am so blessed to have, Donna and Sharon.

And of course my trip wouldn't be complete if I didn't find a fun goodie at the convenient store.  Today's find was Cookies and Cream and Strawberry and Hazelnut Kit Kats... they will be in the mail this week for my niece and nephew to sample.  Enjoy, Cade and Ella!!

No comments:

Post a Comment