Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Essex Homecoming and Our First Week in Sasebo

I arrived in Sasebo two days before Chris because he was still out on the ship.  I found out Wednesday morning that the Essex (his ship) would be coming in that afternoon... I was thrilled! Also, since this was the first time they were pulling into their new port, they were going to be manning the deck in their fancy uniforms. So I went with the wives to meet the ship and it was an amazing sight!  Now, before you ask, I was super excited to see Chris and since I'm new at this ship stuff, I forgot to take a picture of him in his uniform when he came off the ship, I know I'm a bad wife!  Hopefully I'll remember next time!


Now that Chris was back, we were off to explore our new town!  Chris' favorite thing by far are the wide assortment of vending machines that Japan has to offer. He stops at each one!  They have hot and cold drinks, tea, coffee, juice, and milk.
We are within walking distance from the amazing shopping area called the Ginza.  They have exciting places to eat, where I hear Chris say the whole time, "just eat it, you don't have to know what it is," and our local grocery store.

Pretty desserts and an iced coffee (from the vending machine, of course)
Also, one food that we came to love in Hawaii was sushi, needless to say we have been anxious to try some real Japanese sushi.  We have been hearing about this place the Americans call "Sushi-Go-Round" but of course it has a Japanese name.  Since we are only getting around by taxi right now, we had to find out where it was and its real name.  Once we did that we were on our way.  It was quite exciting and different from sushi we have had in the past.  Also, all the writing was in Japanese so we never knew what we were eating or looking at, but pulling the items off the conveyor belt was a fun time!

I have almost mastered the art of using chopsticks, its either learn how to use them or carry plastic forks in my purse!

These were today's specials!

2 comments:

  1. yea, good work with the chopsticks girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was literally just thinking that you needed to make a blog! So glad that you did! I hope you are enjoying the adventure and tell Chris I said hello! Love you!

    ReplyDelete